Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Vipassana vs samatha confusing sample case

Question:
In the vipassana practice, my teacher asks me to give a detailed report of one of my breathing rise and falling. I've tried but he tells me that the report is too general, that I need to provide more details. Can someone give me an example of a detailed report? Here it is mine. Some feedback?
Rise: 1- the belly starts to rise slowly, with ease 2- then it speeds up and takes in a lot of air 3- I feel a resistance, belly is close to the maximum volume, but the breathing goes on and it even hurts a bit. It slows down and stops.
Falling: 1- breath out very fast from the beginning. I feel a relieve on the belly. 2- continue to breath out fast 3- I feel there is not much air left and I feel a resistance on the belly, pain again, until it slows down and stops.

Answer:
Your master telling you that your meditation not progress. And when I consider your detail I think I know what is the cause makes your meditation not progress. It is because of wrong meditation's procedure.
In tipitaka and commentary, vipassanā-meditation never has special activity like that. Vipassanā-meditation analyses everything as 5 aggregates, etc, then it focuses on these 5 aggregates' 3 characteristics.
So, what you trying to do is not vipassanā-meditation in tipitaka and commentary. It looks like ānāpānassati-samatha-meditation, but you looks confusing it's procedure. Therefore, I advise you to read ānāpānassati-samatha-meditation, here.
The other advising, you should not focus on belly, you should focus only on your breath at the tip of nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment