Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Kāma-chanda love VS Mettā-(chanda) love

Kāma-chanda, in M.N. Mahādukkhakkhandhasutta, means the interest to attach 5 kāma-gunā:
yo kho bhikkhave kāmesu chandarāgavinayo chandarāgappahānaṃ idaṃ kāmānaṃ nissaraṇaṃ.
Removing the interest to attach 5 kāma-gunā, is nissaranaṃ.
5 kāmaguna example: I love a skin (of you). I loves a voice (of you). I love a smell (of you). I love a taste (of you). I love a touch/hold/hug/making love/kiss (of you).

Mettā-(chanda), in M.N. kakacūpamasuttaṃ, means (the interest) to give the advantages, not to give the disadvantages.
hitānukampī ca viharissāmi mettacitto na dosantaroti
We will remain sympathetic to that person's welfare** = we will have mettā-mind = We will not have inner hate (The clause are defining each others).
Some translation translateed mettā as loving kindness.
**Person's welfare refer to personal happiness.
See also: https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/a/24519/10100

No comments:

Post a Comment